Summary & Response

Once there was a girl named Akim whose beauty was a source of wonder for all. She was an innocent and kind child, and thus wanted to befriend anyone around her. Seven sisters around her age, jealous of her beauty took advantage of her kindness and and concocted a plan to entrap her in the snares of a river god. The seven sisters acted purely out of their jealousy for Akim and their own insecurities. Envy, the desire for what another has, has been the cause of conflict for generations. In young adults their jealousy and insecurity can lead to bullying and violence. In the article “Highly Attractive Models in Advertising and the Women Who Loathe Them: The Implications of Negative Affect for Spokesperson Effectiveness,” by Amanda B. Bower, Professor of Marketing at Washington & Lee University she argued that some women loathe comparing themselves to highly attractive supermodels in magazines and advertisements. She continued to say that whenever women saw ads with supemodels, women begin to compare themselves with the models causing anger, frustation, and jealousy due to the high expectations of beauty put on them by the advertisements. Bower’s argument that women instantly become jealous and angry when confronted with extremely attractive models is not completely true. She gives a clear explanation of the social comparison theory and how downward comparisons negatively affect a person’s perception of themselves. However she does not take note of many external factors that affect a person’s sense of self. She does not realize that a person can be born with low self-esteem, and people without positive reinforcement from friends and family can develop a bad perception of themselves. Seven sisters attacked a beautiful young girl because of their jealousy and low self-esteem. In “Highly Attractive Models in Advertising and the Women Who Loathe Them: The Implications of Negative Affect for Spokesperson Effectiveness,” Amanda Bower explains that when people see someone that is highly attractive, jealousy tends to occur. Which is exactly what happened in the story.

REFLECTION I don’t think I did great on this piece. I felt as if I rushed making it and inadvertently made it a little sloppily. I bet when i re-read this I am gonna find a ton of grammatical and phrasing errors. I do not think this is my best work and I know I can do better.